The Merrick Library
The Merrick Library began in 1891, in the hayloft of a stable on the Cammann family farm, where Edward C. Cammann and good friend Richard P. Kent had put together a collection of 50 books given to them by family and friends. A few months later, the library was moved to a shack on the William Hewlett farm on Merrick Avenue, between Merrick Road and Kirkwood Avenue. A third move brought the Library to a 15-foot room on the ground floor of the newly-built tower of the Merrick Water Company on Kirkwood Avenue, behind the Church of the Redeemer.
The library's fourth home at 2369 Merrick Avenue was constructed in 1897 at a cost of $1,150, on land donated by Edward C Cammann's aunt, Katherine L. Cammann. That same year, Miss Lina Miller became Merrick's librarian.
Visit the Merrick Library website
In 2014, the Merrick Library received the Merrick Historical Society’s collection and the photograph collection from the Merrick Life newspaper. These consist of original analog materials of photographs including panoramas, scrapbooks, maps, books, artifacts and ephemera. A wide array of topics are covered including early education, business, civic organizations, government, religion, and the performing arts. Thus far, most of the resources appear to encompass the twentieth century time period. Many of the objects are in various states of decay and would benefit from digitization and preservation.
A collection of postcards from the Merrick Library composed of over one hundred items depicting holiday and travel themes and promotional images of old Merrick.
The targeted audiences of this collection are the residents of the town of Merrick and surrounding communities, researchers, students and individuals.