Skip to main content

About this collection

In 1878, Dr. Willis G. Tucker, of the Albany Medical College faculty, and Mr. Gustavus Michaelis, of the Albany Pharmaceutical Company, called a meeting at which about twenty Albany pharmacists convened and started to plan the establishment of a school of pharmacy.  It wasn't until 1880, however, when Dr. Tucker and Mr. Michaelis consulted with Archibald McClure, Esq., a wholesale druggist, Dr. Jacob S. Mosher, then Registrar and Professor at the Medical School, and Joseph W. Russell, from the Board of Trustees of Albany Medical College proposed to establish a Department of Pharmacy of Union University that things really got underway.  A plan of organization was drawn up by Dr. Tucker and presented to Dr. E. N. Potter, then President of Union University.  He excitedly approved the project, and at the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees held on June 21, 1881, Albany College of Pharmacy was created to constitute the Department of Pharmacy of Union University.  A Board of Trustees was appointed and the school was incorporated as the Albany College of Pharmacy, conforming to the laws of the state, August 27, 1881. - from Union University:  Its History, Influence, Characteristics and Equipment.  New York:  Lewis Publishing Company, 1907.

 

Moving forward... in 2008, to better reflect its expanding range of academic programs, the school officially changed its name to Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.  In 2009, a campus in Colchester, Vermont with an inaugural class of 74 students opened.  And in 2011, the College's first Masters degree was awarded in the study of Pharmacology.  The College now has six Bachelor's programs and five Master's degree programs in addition to the now standard PharmD, or Doctor of Pharmacy, degree awarded to graduating pharmacists.

 

The items found here comprise digital archives of the College which are collected and preserved to retain the history of the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.  

 

View all Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Digital Collections

 

Visit the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Web Site

 

Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Sub-Collections:

 

O'Brien Building Photo Collection

On May 13, 1926, ground was broken for a new three-story building (the future O’Brien Building), the Honorable John Boyd Thatcher, Mayor of Albany, presiding. The New Building, designed by architect Alex Selkirk, had three stories of tapestry brick and limestone for a cost of $300,000. Occupied for the first time in the fall of 1927, the new edifice included labs for Pharmacy, Botany and Materia Medica, Pharmacognosy, Histology and Chemistry, a model pharmacy, an auditorium for 500, a photography room, a library, gym, an alumni room, and a co-eds lounge.

Conglomerate Class Photos

Starting in 1883 portraits of the graduating classes of Albany College of Pharmacy were taken.  Individual photos were taken and assembled together in larger conglomerate groups.  Some were labelled with the names of individuals and their positions within the College; some were not.  More rarely, these portraits were taken as group shots.  The 1930s saw the last of these commemorative portraits.  Years 1886, 1887, 1892, 1918, 1926, 1927, and 1929 are missing.

Commencement

Albany College of Pharmacy held its first graduation ceremony in February of 1882.  Three students graduated with the degree of Graduate in Pharmacy.  In 2008, the school officially changes its name to Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (ACPHS) to better reflect its expanding range of academic programs. ACPHS now offers BS, MS, and PharmD degrees.

Alumni News and PostScript

The Alumni News began publication in 1956 during the height of the College's Diamond Jubilee construction fund drive marking the 75th anniversary of the College.  From 1986-2011 its name was changed to PostScript.  In 2011 the publication was revived and the name changed back to Alumni News.  In 2013, it became an online only publication.  1956-1987 are currently available in this Digital Archive.

Yearbooks

The Alembic Pharmakon was first published in 1916.  The Byrnes '34 Archives is missing years 1918 to 1922. Were yearbooks even published between 1918 and 1922?  That is a good question.  During transitional years, yearbooks were not published for lack of graduating seniors.  Years missing in the collection for this reason are:  1929, 1940 and 1964.  In 1929, the program changes from a two year course to a three year degree course.   In 1940, the three year Graduate in Pharmacy (PhG) degree changes to a four year BS degree in Pharmacy.  In 1960, the BS degree in Pharmacy changed from a four to a five year degree, leaving no graduating pharmacy class in 1964.

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK